The mission of The Harvey School is to help students maximize their potential as they prepare for successful college and university careers as well as adulthood. Through a program of academic challenge, faculty support, and out-of-class activities, Harvey encourages students to find the best of what is within them and to develop the confidence and ability to lead and to try new things and master them.
The Harvey School was founded by Dr. Herbert Carter and his wife Mabel Carter in 1916 as a residential school for boys, enrolling students through the secondary grades. Dr. Carter, a New York City pediatrician, built the school at his farm in Hawthorne, New York. His intention was to provide a country environment and an educational program for his son, Herbert Swift Carter, Jr., who had some physical limitation due to scarlet fever as a child. The school was named for Sir William Harvey (1578-1657), personal physician of King Charles I, who claimed to be the first to describe the mechanics of blood circulation. Dr. Harvey’s discoveries and methods established him as one of the fathers of modern medical science.
John L. Miner was appointed as the school’s first headmaster when its doors opened in October 1916, with an enrollment of four boys. Mr. Miner served the school for ten years before leaving to establish Greenwich Country Day School, originally known as The Harvey School of Greenwich. Herbert Carter, Jr. graduated from Harvey in 1919, and from Princeton University in 1923. Following a year at Oxford, he returned to Harvey to teach English, and in 1926, he succeeded Mr. Miner as Headmaster.
After Dr. Carter died in 1927, the educational emphasis was placed on providing a curriculum for boys from grades four through eight and preparing them for the leading eastern secondary boarding schools. The Harvey School soon established a reputation for providing a sound, traditional education of the English prep school style in a small residential setting.
In 1938, the school came under the leadership of Mr. Leverett T. Smith who served until 1963. In 1947, the Carter family sold the school, established a Board of Trustees and joined the ranks of private independent schools operating as a not-for-profit organization. The school continued operating at the Hawthorne location until 1959, when construction of a highway cloverleaf interchange pre-empted the school’s property. The search for a new site led to the former Sylvan Weil Estate in Katonah, where the school resides today on more than 100 acres.
The new campus was provided with boarding facilities for sixty residential students, while the day student population continued to expand total enrollment. As the school began transitioning to being primarily a day school, Harry A. Dawe was appointed Headmaster in 1969; it was his objective to continue the transition and the growth of enrollment while retaining the residential environment.
In 1970 the school added a ninth grade, and in 1979 the remaining secondary grades were established. Harvey began admitting girls as day students when it began operating as a full high school; this transition, which served as a challenge to the administration and trustees, was further complicated by a fire that destroyed the school’s central building.
The current Headmaster, Barry W. Fenstermacher, was appointed in 1986, and under his leadership the campus has developed further with the same mission – development of a quality “country school” offering a five-day residential dimension close to the metropolitan New York area. Under Mr. Fenstermacher, in March 2005 a new arts center was completed to provide an environment for studio, music and dramatic-arts education, as well as a flexible performance theater. The architecture of the $6m theatre gained a silver prize for its design.
The current focus is a traditional college prep (co-ed grades 6-12) curriculum with range of courses through Advanced Placement; mix of science, humanities, arts, languages, athletics, and extra-curricular activities.
The Harvey School was founded in 1916 with four boys in a farmhouse at Hawthorne, New York. While the infrastructure and facilities have changed little over the years, this location now accommodates a community of over 400 faculty, staff and students.
- 1916- boys of any age or grade admitted
- 1925- Herbert S. Carter ’19 began teaching at Harvey
- 1926- Herbert S. Carter ’19 became Headmaster, with focus on grades 4-8
- 1947 – Carter family sold the school; established Board of Trustees
- 1958 – NY State pre-empted school land for interchange of Taconic and Sprain parkways
- 1959 – School moved to current location in Katonah for the fall of 1959 at the former Sylvan Weil Estate, consisting of more than 100 acres
- 1960 – larger proportion of day students added
- 1970 – ninth grade added
- 1977 – Nov 4 fire destroyed Sylvan Hall, the Carter House predecessor. Most records were lost.
- Fall 1979 - tenth grade added; girls admitted to Upper School
- Fall 1980 - eleventh grade added
- Fall 1981 - twelfth grades added, began five years of transitioning into full high school (Sept ‘83 dropped 4th grade, Sept ‘84 dropped 5th grade)
- Spring 1982 – first graduating senior class, including girls
- Fall 1984 – Middle School began accepting girls
- 1986 - Barry Fenstermacher appointed Headmaster
- - 6 students in Harvey’s Middle School, with only four girls.
- 2001 – over 100 Middle School students, with girls and boys in equal measure.
- - Middle School addition was completed on time and under budget.
- 2005 – Walker Center for the Arts Opened
- 2008 – Faculty Endowment reached $2 million
- NYSAIS Accreditation received with High Marks
- 2009 – enrollment reached 345
- 2012 – Athletic Center Opened
- John L. Miner 1916-1926
- Herbert Swift Carter II 1926 – 1938 (son of founder Dr. Herbert Carter)
- Leverett T. Smith 1938 -1963
- Frank M. Perrine* 1963 – 1964
- E. Bradley Richardson 1964 – 1969
- Harry A. Dawe 1969 – 1984
- Thomas J. Fulton* 1984 – 1985
- Barry W. Fenstermacher 1986 –
*- interim headmaster
Throughout its history, The Harvey School has upheld the belief that a talented faculty is the key to a quality education. Dedicated to helping students of varying abilities, our teachers devote extraordinary amounts of time to support the learning process. Many alumni have credited their teachers at Harvey as the most influential forces in shaping their lives.
Fifteen or More Years of Service (1916-2012):
|Irene A. Anderson, 1956-83||Daniel P. Dickinson, 1916-42||Theodore D. O’Connor, 1980-01|
|Minna Bacher, 1935-60||James C. Forbes, 1916-35||Karen O’Connor, 1980-01|
|Rose W. Baldwin, 1951-73||John Gobel, 1969-84||Paul Paaske, 1926-42|
|Richard S. Beck, 1969-93||Carroll V. Howes, 1942-67||Christine G. Reardon, 1986-02|
|Jane R. Beckmann, 1968-87||Milton P. Hunter, 1944-60||Robert F. Shattuck, 1977-93|
|Alice V. Bennett, 1982-97||Max Lange, 1940-61||John A. Shea, 1945-67|
|Eddie Bonilla, 1992-08||Michael A. Lopes, 1983-00||Eleanor H. Smith, 1936-63|
|Mabel Stewart Carter, 1916-57||Mitchell Lyon, 1946-63||Leverett T. Smith, 1936-63|
|Cedile S. Clark, 1939-59||Mona W. Lyon, 1954-1963||Virginia C. Smith, 1968-94|
|Susan S. Daily, 1989-10||Geraldine McGrath-Kelly, 1988-10||Herman Storvik, 1938-62|
|Harry A. Dawe, 1969-84||John P. McMahon, 1962-01||Gudmund Tweiten, 1927-71|
|Arthur J. Deeks, 1967-93||May McTeigue, 1943-72||Dorothy A. Vincent, 1960-78|
|Sandra A. DeSena, 1988-08||Patricia Morton, 1986-05||Sophie Zinn, 1965-82|
|Kathleen M. DeVinney, 1954-85||Nancy Nitcher-Liedtke, 1981-97|
|Current Faculty and Staff|
|Thomas C. Banca, 1979||G. Chris Kelly, 1993||Mary D. Power, 1979|
|Julia Beck, 1982||Philip J. Lazzaro, 1994||Lee A. Robinson, 1997|
|Carole A. Bonicelli, 1982||Dianne G. Mahony, 1987||Richard & Judy Ryerson, 1983|
|Christopher DelCampo, 1996||Bruce C. Osborne, 1976||Timothy & Charmaine Stark, 1977|
|J. Michael Drude, 1994||Dale A. Osborne, 1977||Susan Tannenbaum, 1983|
|Barry W. Fenstermacher, 1986||Goncalo A. Pinheiro, 1972||John Wahlers, 1997|
|Robert S. Gale, 1994||Douglas Plaskett, 1996||Richard Wyland, 1993|